BARC Exam Sessions

BARC offers Volunteer Exam sessions four times a year. All are held at the Artisans Asylum, 96 Holton St., Allston. The time and date of the next exam session can be found on the Calendar page.

We administer tests for Technician, General, and Amateur Extra license classes.

Testing is by reservation only. You must reserve in advance with either Jim Clogher, N1ICN ( or Joe Chapman, NV1W ( If you cannot make it for some reason, we ask that you contact us as soon as possible. We also ask that you be prompt, since we start the exam when everyone has arrived.

Please bring the following with you:

  • Your current license and a photocopy, if you are upgrading. We will keep the photocopy.
  • Any Certificates of Successful Completion of Exams (CSCEs) you are claiming, and a photocopy of each. We will keep the photocopy.
  • Your FCC Registration Number (FRN). This can be obtained by visiting this website. You must provide both an FRN and a valid email address to obtain a license.
  • A valid photo ID, or two valid non-photo IDs.
  • A pen and pencil.
  • A calculator (if you need one). We will need to check to make sure any memories have been cleared and you cannot use a calculator app.
  • $15. If you pass an exam, you may take subsequent tests without paying an additional fee. Repeating an exam requires the payment of an additional $15 fee.

The needed FCC forms will be provided.

To speed the process on the day of the test, you may fill out our checkin form. This is a fillable PDF form; fill out the information on the top of the form above the thick line and email it back to us before the test session.

Partial credit may be available for holders of expired licenses. If you held a General, Advanced, or Amateur Extra license in the past, or a Technician license issued before March 21, 1987. You can find more information here. If you intend to claim this credit, please let the exam team know in advance; this will help streamline the process at the test session.

After your exam

If you’ve taken the exam and passed, congratulations and welcome to Amateur Radio! We will submit your information to the FCC for processing, and they will send you a bill via email to pay the $35 license fee online. You must pay this bill within 10 days or your application will be dismissed. Official information can be found here.

If you answered “yes” to the basic qualification question on NCVEC Form 605, more information on how to proceed can be found here.

For status, you can go to the FCC Universal Licensing System page and click “Licenses” in the list of search options. Once your call sign has been issued, you are free to operate, within the restrictions of your new license class, of course.

If you upgraded an existing license, the white CSCE (Certificate of Successful Completion of Examination) form is evidence of your new license class. Until your new license is issued (appearing on the FCC website) you can operate with new privileges, but you need to add /AG (authorized General) or /AE (authorized Extra) to your call if you’re transmitting on a frequency your old license doesn’t allow you to use.

Most people look up other hams on; you can look up your own current license information there as well. Once your call is issued, you may want to register with the site and add extra information to your callsign page.

You are welcome to come to any meeting of the Boston Amateur Radio Club or to reach out to an officer if you need help getting started. There is a weekly club net on Mondays at 9:00 p.m. on the 145.230 Boston repeater; see this page for details.